Getting close

I’ve been busy! I finally got all the right parts to replace my front brake line with a stainless steal line, and my brake light sensor with this tiny bolt integrated sensor. I’m also ditching the dual gauges in favor of a single tach with an integrated speedometer. I shopped around for these for some time but they all seem to cost around $500, so I am making my own with a tiny GPS sensor, a micro controller to ping the satellites for speed, and three 7-segment LED’s to display my speed. I already built this setup on an electronics breadboard as a proof of concept and it works great. I also created a new gauge faceplate in Photoshop and brought it to a commercial printer to have it printed on heavy card stock.

The picture of the seat shows the dense foam I’m using for the seat and the tank plug to fill the hole in the tank where the original seat used to sit. I’m going to wrap the foam in marine vinyl and sew heavy Velcro on the bottom to fasten it to the fiberglass.

The last picture shows my new tail/brake light mounted and wired up, and my refurbished and relocated rear LED blinkers.

2 comments so far

  1. Jason on

    I was just wondering if you got the gps speedo sorted out? I was thinking the same thing for my bike and did search online and found one but they are not cheap. Anyway, just thought to ask. Thanks for the link for the spokes a few weeks back. I’m a long way off from doing the wheels, but the rest of my bike is starting to be mocked up well. Lot of work and of course a few surprizes.
    Thanks again

    • cb550 on

      Hey Jason,
      Glad to hear your still working on yours, get that blog setup so I can follow along.

      I haven’t had time to do much more than ride the bike lately, while juggling a busy schedule, but I’m planning to tackle the seat and the GPS speedo this summer. The speedo worked great assembled on an electronics breadboard, I believe I just had some kind of ground issue when I moved it to the gauge. I could tell the program was still running fine, but the 7-segment LED’s had bleed over that caused segments to illuminate when they weren’t supposed to. I’ll get it worked out.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: